Penile Injection Therapy
Why Choose Penile Injection Therapy?
If oral medications are not effective, penile injection therapy is an option. The medication is a mixture of 2 (Bimix) or 3 (Trimix) different medications that help induce an erection. A tiny needle is used to inject the medication directly into the side of the penis. The needle is so small, that most men do not find these injections painful. The first injection will be done in the office so we can demonstrate how you should do it at home and what dosage you should start at. We often will perform a penile ultrasound during this visit to help diagnose the cause of erectile dysfunction.
Penile Injection Instructions
- Injections may be carried out three times a week on alternating sides, waiting 24 hours between injections.
- Your provider will tell you which dosage to start at, usually around 15 units. This may be increased by five units at a time until the desired effect is achieved.
- Inject into the right or left side of the base of the penis at a 90-degree angle.
- Injections can be carried out either sitting or standing. Maintain pressure at the site of the injection for 1 minute.
- Keep the medication in the refrigerator or freezer (lasts longer in the freezer).
- You can prepare and pre-load the syringes in advance and keep them in the freezer once your correct dose has been established.
- If you are not getting an adequate erection at a dosage of 50 units, a stronger formulation may be necessary.
- Immediately go to the emergency room if you have an erection lasting longer than four hours.
- If you are not satisfied with penile injection therapy as a long-term option for your ED, you should consider a penile implant.